When we heard that Sam from ThoughtsOnTomes was doing another round of Tome Topple that encompasses the American Thanksgiving holiday, it felt like a gift from the heavens. There are SO many chunky books sitting on our TBR piles, batting their eyelashes up at us and begging us to read them. This readathon starts at midnight in YOUR time zone on November 16th and goes all the way through to 11:59 on November 29th. That is TWO WEEKS to complete the following challenges:
- Read more than 1 tome
- Read a graphic novel (still over 500 pages!)
- Read a tome that is part of a series
- Buddy read a tome
- Read an adult novel
Tome Topple always gives us that extra push we need to pick up those intimidating doorstop books, and we can’t wait to share some of our anticipated reads with you!
I am so jazzed for this round, you guys. My mom and I had already planned a couch potato party for this weekend (she lives a couple of hours away from me, but we both like staying home, so this is like the best of both worlds for me), so it’s the PERFECT TIME to make my way through some big ol’ books
I’m taking a different approach this time around than I did last time and only picking four books that I FOR SURE want to get to, and then maybe I’ll have enough time to get around to something else. The first is Our Dark Duet, which is a sequel I’ve been meaning to get around to for approximately ever, and I know I’ll be able to fly through it. The second is The Republic of Thieves, which is the most recent Gentleman Bastards book to be released. I read Red Seas Under Red Skies last round, so it feels natural to pick it up. Next is The Beauty of Darkness, which will also complete a series that I started at the beginning of October (I think) and would love to finish! Lastly I have Habibi, which is a beautiful graphic novel that I found second hand and have needed an excuse to pick up ever since.
I almost always listen to an audiobook during at least part of my work day, but I don’t really know what I’m going to pick up this round! The only thing I have thus far is rereading Vengeful, so I am taking suggestions for some good audio tomes! I might also reread The Name of the Wind this round on audio…hmmmmmm.
If I make my way through all 4 of my physical tomes, that knocks out all the challenges except the buddy reading one, which I am totally ok with! (I would ask Kate to buddy read something with me, but I have a deeply rooted need for her to read Six of Crows [Oh, don’t worry, I’m all over it!], so I will NOT be doing anything to distract her.) I’m also slowly making my way through the Stormlight Archive, but I’ve already started The Way of Kings and don’t know that I’ll even make it to the end before this round is over.
I am so excited for the next Tome Topple round, but I’m also not counting on getting a lot done, unfortunately. Between working an insane amount, driving to Atlanta for Thanksgiving, and closing on and moving into a new house, I’m spread a bit thin. However, you can only truly fail if you don’t try, so here I am with my measly TBR, excited to give it the good old college try.
- Six of Crows – I’ve already started this, but OH MY GOD SO GOOD, and I want Crooked Kingdom to count, so I have to finish it. No regrets.
- Crooked Kingdom – See above
- Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue – Paige read this for the last round, and I’ve had it on my priority pile ever since. I’m excited to jump in, and I have Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy ready and waiting in case I love it.
- Illuminae – Remember when I said I might not be able to hold off on my Kristoff-athon? Turns out I was right.
- The Last Magician – I kind of forgot I wanted to read this book, but it popped up on my radar again recently, and I’m itching to get to it. We shall see.
- Moscow Rules – It’s great to check the adult lit box with a book I just realized I wanted to get to reading. I feel weirdly proud of myself for this, and there’s absolutely no reason why.
- Kingdom of Ash – Listening to this will kill me, but I’m doing it anyway. Masochist, party of one, over here.
- KoA won’t take me the full two weeks, but I’m struggling coming up with a second one to take on. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear them! Or I can just go for ACOMAF round four for the year! (It was Paige’s idea, so don’t blame me if it happens!)
If I start to question my choices too much, I might change my mind, but I think I’ve put a good short list together. I didn’t have any preconceived notions going into this round like I usually do, so I just stood in front of my shelves and waited for something to speak to me. The one let down for me is that none of my longer graphic novels were really speaking to me, but we’ll see how I do on the Now, fingers crossed I can get the husband-friend to drive most of the way to Thanksgiving, so I’ll be able to read in peace!